Friday, January 22, 2010

Life and Death in the Power of the Tongue

From time to time I find myself getting caught up in office banter. Does that ever happen to you? I tend to do really well with staying outta folks' business and not gossiping with the rest of them! But, catch me on the day that I feel passionately about a topic and I might just join in for a talk or two. Then after I "ran my mouth" a little bit, I feel so convicted, its not even funny. Am I alone? LOL. This is definitely another issue, and another opportunity we can take to let our light shine. I failed today and I beat myself up about it all the way home. I didn't say anything that wasn't true, but I stayed and listened and agreed a lot longer than I should have. We might not know all the scriptures in the bible, we may not even make it to church every Sunday, but these are ways that we can let our light shine. When everyone else is gossiping, you don't have to be part of the conversation, or you can be the one to help everyone refocus their energy on more positive things. But as we work through our issues, we need to become more and more self aware! The Jesus inside of us, should convict us...I believe that is a normal feeling, but where we tend to get into trouble is beating ourselves up. After you confess your sins to God, let it go! Let it go and let it flow. God forgave you, he's just waiting for you to forgive yourself. We are just Christians with issues, but we are working 'em out! Be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. You are most definately not alone brother. I work at the YMCA as a lifeguard and for the most part the people i work with are college students like me or high school students. So i always get an earful of the latest gossip almost every day, and it does get extremely difficult to avoid the temptation to put in my two cents. and i do often fall into that temptation. Which is why i am so glad to have a Father whose love is never ending and unconditional. I know that i can bring these guilty thoughts and actions before Him so he can take them, crumple them up, and make a three point shot into waste basket of forgotten sins. Praise God, Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how hard we can be on ourselves, sometimes I think we can be our own worst enemy. You're right, God forgives, but when are we going to start forgiving ourselves? lol. i love the bball analogy!

    ReplyDelete