Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gain The Whole World & Lose Your Soul

It's kinda funny---I am sitting here in my hotel room watching American Idol, this is the week they pick who gets to stay in Hollywood. I am not an avid Idol watcher but I am always amazed at how far people will go to make their dreams come true. Which got me thinking a little bit.......Why don't we do whatever it takes to get closer to God? I heard many of the contestants say, "I'll do anything to make my dreams come true!" And it got me thinking some more.. I wonder if God says, "I wish they would do anything to get closer to me and let go of their wordly ways!"

Why do we put so much focus on "outside" forces? For example, I knew that I had to go to college to better myself. Once I received my undergrad degree, I just knew I needed to obtain my Master's degree. And now that I have a Master's, I flirt around with the idea of a P.H.D. In other words, I knew in order to make better pay and have a shot at the best jobs, I needed an advanced degree. That was an no brainer! I even took jobs in other states, just so I could have more opportunities available to me.

But, when I look back at my spiritual life...Did I ever take a look at my issues and say...wow I gotta do whatever it takes to get this stuff out of my life? The bible says, only what we do for Christ will last! And it took a long time for me to get on my knees and cry out to God for a change. And I am still experiencing that change. But, the point I want to drive home is.. we have to get desperate for change...we have to get desperate and cry out to God and pull and tug till we get our breakthrough. Just like those singers beg Simon for another shot....we gotta go to God with that same drive....we gotta give everything we've got to see a change. Because you know what? Our life depends on it!

Be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever get the feeling when your praying or reading scripture that you just want this life to go by faster so we can be with our true Father in heaven. Sometimes I wish that trumpet blast would come in the next minute so that i won't have to struggle through this life anymore. Heaven and everlasting life couldn't come any sooner and I can not wait to see what God has waiting for me up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, sometimes I feel that way. But, then I think about the Lord's prayer... Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.. which makes me think we can have heaven on earth..it doesn't have to be such a burden. God gave us dominion we just have to figure out how to get through it... :) But I totally understand how you feel.. We all want to know what's next... But I bet God still has a lot for you, so he won't sound that trumpet just yet. :)

    ReplyDelete